the hub and i just returned from a wonderful week in minnesota, with his family. it was a blast! and the food. oh my goodness. the food. there is a detox juice fast in my near future, for sure.
we all took turns cooking, and i made these spinach-cheese puff pastry things for breakfast on my day to cook. they turned out really yummy, so i thought i’d post them!
i made these for breakfast, but they work as an appetizer too. here’s what i did…
roll out two sheets of puff pastry (one box). brush with egg and top with cheese, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, some fresh spinach that’s been cooked in olive oil with a little garlic, and of course, BACON! or pancetta, if you’re fancy. add some chopped basil too!
roll em up and cut em in thick slices. lay them cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with more egg, to make em shiny.
bake at 375 until brown (15 minutes? can’t remember. just use your nose…)
and now, as i have been taught by my mother, my brain will explode with a thousand different ways to make these little buggers. it’s a miracle i get anything done.
here’s what just came to mind:
- hawaiian pizza version! pizza sauce, mozzarella, bacon or pepperoni, green onion, pineapple.
- olive tapenade: in a food processor, blend black and green olives with olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, some garlic, some orange zest, rosemary, oregano, and pepper. maybe mix with some parm? that sounds so good right now.
- okay, here’s one that reminds me of a white pizza they make in the alsace region ~ caramelize onions cut into thin rings, in a frying pan on low, with a little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar and salt. make a bechamel sauce: milk, flour, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper. whisk and heat until gravy-like. you only need a little, so this won’t take too long. then line your puff pastry with the sauce, mozzarella, the onions, and some chopped bacon if you’d like. wow ~ gotta make that!
- how about a sweet one? with a little butter, cinnamon and sugar, and even sliced apples? or chocolate chips? YUMM!
- buffalo version! mozzarella, BLUE CHEESE!!!! and some franks hot sauce!
oh boy, i’m in trouble. i’m never going to go on that detox, am i? too much great food out there!!!