i’ve posted this amazing chili before, but i’ve added some ingredients and variations that i really love. plus, it’s just SO GOOD. i made it last night for some hungry guys, and it really hit the spot on a friday night.
BLACK BEAN CHILI
- brown some ground beef or turkey in a bit of olive oil. it can be as lean as you can find it.
- drop in a chopped onion and 3 garlic cloves, finely minced.
- after that’s all gone soft and yummy, add some red wine, just a 1/2 cup or less, and some worcestershire sauce or soy sauce. cook for a minute.
- add the following delicious seasonings: cumin, lots of chili powder, salt and pepper, and just a pinch of cinnamon, which makes it taste so exotic.
- let the spices cook for a minute, then add bell peppers and two jalapenos, seeded and chopped.
- add black beans and a big can of crushed organic tomatoes. i made a big batch for four guys and me, so i used three cans of beans and a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. but you can adjust it as you wish.
- add a can of veggie or beef stock.
- if you like cilantro, drop it a few chopped stems of the cilantro. the stems really hold up to cooking, unlike the leaves, which will garnish the chili later.
- bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, put the lid half on and leave it until your guests arrive! mine was on the stove for a couple hours, but i’ve also eaten this after 30 minutes of simmering.
- serve with chopped cilantro and corn cakes.
this chili is so fresh and bright and healthy. i hope you try it!