yum yum yummmmm. okay, so i figured a couple things tonight: if you cook israeli couscous according to the package, and add a little water as it starts to dry out, kind of like you do with risotto? oh man, it makes this creamy starchy thing that is divine!
here’s what i did:
MEXI-ITALIAN ISRAELI COUSCOUS
- throw the israeli couscous in with the water and bring it all to a boil with salt and some olive oil. when it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, pour in a little more water and turn off the heat. it’ll get all creamy…
- in a frying pan, heat up some olive oil and chop & drop in the following:
- mushrooms (let these brown before you put anything else in)
- sundried tomatoes
- red pepper
- grape tomatoes
- chopped fresh spinach
you know what i always say ~ whatever you have in the fridge!
but this combo is mmm mmm good.
- add some herbs and spices, like salt and pepper, crushed red pepper, oregano, blah blah blah.
- turn off the heat and add a dash or two of red wine vinegar. aaaagh. when it hits the pan, it’s incredible.
- throw in the couscous with its juicy starchy cream, and toss it all together. now we’re cookin’!
- last step: i would have certainly added basil here, but all i had was cilantro. this is an italian dish, so far! what to do, what to do. well, i added the cilantro and oh boy ~ i do not regret it!!!
it turns out italian ingredients and mexican ingredients can live together under the same roof! this opens up a world of experimentation!!!!
next step ~ italian enchiladas!!!