i’ve been hibernating. yesterday, i had a full day of teaching, a concert, and then a rehearsal. i ended the long day with a glass of wine (or two) with some great friends from the rehearsal.
when i finally peeled myself off the couch this morning, i was seriously hungry.
what can warm your heart on a cold winter’s day better than a hot steamy bowl of soup?
here’s what i did:
acorn squash bisque
- i cut three acorn squashes in half, laid them cut side up on a sheet pan covered with foil, sprinkled some olive oil on top and a little salt, and roasted them in a 400 degree oven until the edges start to brown. about 45 minutes.
- i let the squash cool, then removed the seeds and yucky middle stuff, spooned out the meat, and set it aside for later.
- meanwhile, in a dutch oven, i browned a yellow onion and some garlic in olive oil, added three carrots (for color and flavor, and nutrition!), a chunk of ginger, and let it all get soft and yummy.
- i deglazed the pan with a little white wine (not sure this made that big of a difference. this soup is already FULL of flavor), added some veggie stock, honey, zest and juice of an orange, and the following herbs and spices ~ salt, pepper, garam masala, nutmeg, the chopped stems of some cilantro, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- when the spirit moved me (translation: when i peeled myself off the couch for the second time), i threw in the squash and let it all get to know each other.
- then i added some almond milk and a little olive oil, and buzzed it in the food processor for a while. probably shoulda used the blender. oh well.
i topped this heart-warming, healthy soup with a cranberry salsa that my mother always makes at thanksgiving. she tops her pumpkin soup with it, and i don’t know why i wait till thanksgiving to have this stuff. it is divine.
here’s THAT recipe!
chili cran-apple relish
oh, this is so amazing. you gotta make it. just chop and drop the following…
- 1 finely chopped green apple
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 2 T lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teas. chili powder
- 2 teas. honey
- 1/2 teas. cinnamon
thow it all together and top the soup with it. here’s another picture!!!
2 thoughts on “acorn squash bisque with cran-apple relish.”
I’ll have a bowl right now thank you.
wish i could send you some!!!