i’m prepping for valentine’s day. we’re actually celebrating and going to an italian restaurant tonight! so i am eating super clean until tonight.
what can be cleaner than kale salad and lemon ginger hot tea for lunch?
but i really don’t like the tough texture of raw kale. so here’s what i came up with that makes kale salad very tender and very delicious!
kale salad with green apple vinaigrette
- here’s the trick ~ make your vinaigrette, clean and chop your kale, and throw it all in a ziplock bag. you’re going to marinate the kale, preferably overnight!
here’s the dressing:
- throw the following in a blender: some chopped green apple, peel and all, some apple cider vinegar, the juice of a lemon or lime, some honey, a little shallot or red onion, some olive oil, and some salt and pepper. blend until smooth, then strain. press with a spatula to ring out all the yummy juice! what a fresh, light dressing!
back to the salad:
- clean, chop and throw your kale in the bag with the dressing, and add red onion strips, cranberries, cilantro, celery, raisins, more chopped green apple ~ whatever you like. i cheated and threw in my leftover cran-apple relish from the previous post, titled “acorn squash bisque” ~ that relish is KILLER!
- massage the bag of kale to get that dressing in the crevices of your kale, and put it in the fridge until the next day (i ate a little of this salad last night, just after i had made the kale and dressing, and it is 10 times better today)
the rest of the salad is this:
- green lettuce
- walnuts, toasted in a pan with seasoning salt and cinnamon, and a little sugar
- grated parm
toss it all together and serve immediately!
here’s to over-eating with your loved ones tonight!!!