i had these weird looking mung beans in my pantry for months. maybe more. i didn’t know what to do with them because the first time i tried to make them, they turned into mushy, dull, mash.
this time i did it right and these beans are really worth a try. they are incredibly good for you. google them ~ the health benefits are amazing.
i didn’t take a picture ~ it looks like lentil soup. not gorgeous, but delicious!
here’s what i did:
MUNG BEAN SOUP
- soak the beans overnight in water.
- drain and rinse. meanwhile saute an onion, fresh ginger, some carrots, celery, and garlic in olive oil or coconut oil.
- add the beans, salt and pepper, and some spices, like cumin, curry powder, cinnamon, and garam masala. or go the italian route and add oregano and thyme.
- add enough water to cover, and some better than bouillon, and bring to a boil. cook on low for 30 minutes, covered.
- salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle a little olive oil in. add some agave nectar for sweetness. it gives depth to the soup.
- at the very end, blend it for a second with an immersion blender, just to thicken the soup.
i really love this soup and will definitely make it again. here’s to another night of avoiding the grocery store!!!