that’s not really what these are ~ i’m just quoting bridget jones’ diary. this is the earliest appetizer i remember eating and loving. my mom made these for parties when i was growing up. they’re easy and cute, and i’ve made them at two separate occasions over the holidays. sometimes old school can’t be beat!
- take a large piece of salami and slather with softened cream cheese.
- place a quartered mini pickle in the middle and roll tightly. lay on a cookie sheet, cut side down.
- continue until one of the ingredients (probably the cream cheese) is gone.
- stick in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, or until the party!
- just before the party, take the little rolls out of the freezer, cut the jagged ends off, and slice into bite-sized pieces ~ and that’s it! they’ll defrost in about 10 minutes. i like them cold but they’re also good if they’ve been sitting out all night. they’re quite indestructible, actually. which is something i’m always looking for when i’m throwing a party or taking treats somewhere.
of course, you can change this up ~ add goat cheese or blue cheese to your cream cheese, or add dill or other spices to your cream cheese. or put an olive in the middle! i don’t even know if that would work, but it’s worth a try, isn’t it?
here’s a pretty picture!