as it might appear from my previous posts, i’ve been doing a lot of research and experimenting with different ideas to enhance my health. it probably looks like i started a lot of trend diets, and didn’t follow through. but i’ve kept and tweaked lot of them to fit my needs.
here are five things i love so far!
1. i am in LOVE with dr. hyman’s detox smoothie! i make a smoothie and drink it a cup at a time when needed. i always have a cup for breakfast and it really fuels me before or after a workout. here’s my version of the recipe…
blend the following:
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (peanut or almond ~ whatever you like)
- 1 cup frozen berries of your choice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup nut milk (almond or coconut milk ~ i have hazelnut milk this week and it’s really delicious)
- small handful of nuts (sliced almonds or brazil nuts, or whatever you have)
- small handful of spinach or kale
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 lemon, peel and all
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- add juice or ice or water if you want to change the consistency.
i know this sounds like a lot, and it is! but it lasts a day or two in the fridge and really keeps you from resorting to unhealthy binge-eating. the taste is very satisfying, with a bit of crunch and sweetness, and my digestion has never been better!
2. MY FITNESS PAL AND MY NEW FITBIT.
these two little devices have been very helpful to me as well. the my fitness pal app has helped me monitor my calories, as well as how much protein i’m getting, or vitamin c, or whatever. it syncs up with my fitbit and tacks on more calories if i work out, which is a SERIOUS incentive to work out! because if you haven’t tried to keep your calorie intake at around 1,000 calories a day, you should try it! it’s hard, even for a bird feed grazer like me.
this one has been hard. i’ve only done it a few times, but the results were instant, and amazing. why don’t i do it more often, you ask? no clue. i’m working on it.
i’ve stopped pushing for 3 miles and have settled for a daily regiment of 2. i’ll keep doing that until my busy month of performing is over. i’m just trying not to aggravate my lungs after a month of bronchitis. and now allergies! lord help me!
5. HOT TEA.
i have a huge passion for coffee, so it’s very difficult to ever choose tea. but i have turned to it more often in the last months, and i’m really starting to take comfort in it.
so there’s my story. i’m very pleased with this new additions to my life and hope to get better at all of them! here’s to good health in 2015!!!