it’s a creamy dip and it’s good for me? WHAAAA? WHERE DO I SIGN?!!!
this is a really easy technique that will take your healthy greek yogurt from morning granola to dinner party with friends! it tastes like cream cheese, y’all. CREAM CHEESE.
all you need is a fine mesh sieve and some paper towels. you could use cheese cloth, but i never know where the heck my cheese cloth is. so this method works for me.
first, a picture.
looks like a creamy dip to me!
don’t let the crazy flax seed crackers frighten you. you can serve this dip with raw veggies, chips, crackers, or pita bread. whatever you like. i was super healthy that day and ate it with those flax crackers, that really are pretty good. and super filling, which is what i was going for.
here’s the recipe…
greek yogurt cheese dip
- dump a tub of plain greek yogurt into a fine mesh sieve that’s been lined with a paper towel or two. cover with plastic wrap and place over a larger bowl and leave it on your counter for around 3 hours. the longer you leave it, the cheesier it gets.
- when the yogurt has turned into a yummy cream cheese-like texture, drop it into a bowl and start adding ingredients! here are some ideas (the 1st version is the one in the picture)…
- “everything bagel” flavor: poppy seeds, garlic powder, celery seeds, salt and pepper, fresh herbs like parsley, basil, dill, and add some stone ground mustard to really jazz it up!
- buffalo version: add celery seeds, a little blue cheese and frank’s hot sauce. serve with celery!
- fresh herb version: add fresh dill, cilantro, basil, parsley, and the green parts of green onions. add garlic too, if you like.
- taco night version: add cheddar cheese, chopped black olives, chopped green onions, chili powder, cumin, a pinch of cayenne, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. top the dip with diced avocado and tomatoes!
- you can also just add your favorite not-so-healthy cheese, like goat cheese or shredded cheddar. you’ll be cutting way down on calories but will still get to eat your favorite cheese!
i haven’t tried a sweet version of this ~ like adding honey and poppy seeds, or adding fresh fruit. i’m not really into yogurt with fruit, but you should try it and tell me how it goes. just think about what a happy tummy you’ll have after all that actively-cultured yogurt! i like my dips like i like my men ~ cultured. ha ha haaaa….