this isn’t a recipe ~ it’s a public service announcement. just a reminder of how easy veggies are. you might feel a little daunted about getting as many veggie servings in as you can. for a while, i had a hard time getting past the fact that i thought veggies were a side dish. that there had to be meat with the veg, or some kind of grain.
well, i have been liberated.
FACT: ALMOST ALL VEGETABLES TASTE GOOD TOGETHER.
i’m sure there are exceptions to the rule, but i haven’t come across any. say you look in your fridge and you have random veggies like broccoli, avocado, onion, and spinach.
you have a meal. especially if you have lemon or lime juice!
here’s what i just made with the contents of my fridge:
isn’t it beautiful? i live for those colors. so vibrant, so healing.
here’s a basic recipe.
eat your veggies bowl
in a mixing bowl, make your dressing. whisk together the following:
- a tablespoon of stone ground mustard
- one garlic clove, grated with a microplane
- juice of a lime or lemon (or vinegar, if you don’t have citrus)
- a tablespoon of olive oil
- some fresh herbs, if you have them
and then, just start chopping and dropping veggies in! here’s what i did today, just as an example:
- one jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- half orange pepper
- one avocado
- some steamed broccoli (it’s easier microwave a little broccoli in a bowl with a little water, for 1 minute. it softens it up and makes it incredibly green)
- if i hadn’t eaten all my grape tomatoes last night, i would have added those too!
- finally, i added some leftover grilled spicy chicken sausage, which wasn’t necessary, but needed to be eaten or thrown away.
this is just one of millions of different ways you can make a veggie bowl! you don’t need grains in there. just eat veggies and see how pumped you feel after! it might take a little while for your body to adjust to that kind of veggie overload, but it’s so worth it. grains can make you feel over-full, bloated and gassy. everyone thinks it’s veggies, but i think it’s grains.
what’s your favorite veggie bowl combination? do tell!!!