this is such a simple dish, but so satisfying. you probably already know how to make something like this, but i’m posting it anyway. i mainly want to remind you that there doesn’t have to be any gluten in the making of a delicious egg bake. that’s all. lots of recipes call for cubed bread, or some kind of filler, but i’m pretty sure the ladies in my studio didn’t miss the bread in this egg bake.
as you can see.
they gobbled up this flavorful brunch, which only took me about 10 minutes to prep, and 30 minutes to bake.
here’s a shot before the platter was emptied.
from this angle, it kind of looks like lasagna! for breakfast! mmmmm….
here’s the recipe and another close-up.
easy italian egg bake
- coconut oil, for greasing the pans
- high quality italian sausage (i used scimeca’s, a locally made sausage)
- yellow onion, chopped (½)
- 8-10 eggs
- half n half
- italian cheeses, like mozzarella and parmesan (i used the packaged shredded italian cheese blend)
- fresh tomato
- oregano, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- (it would be so yummy with other veggies, like mushrooms or leeks!)
- preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease your pie plates.
- take the sausage out of its casings and brown in a pan with just a splash of olive oil or coconut oil. mince the sausage as you go, to get small bites throughout.
- at the end of cooking the sausage, drop in your chopped onion and let cook for another minute or 2 with the sausage. the whole house will start to smell amazing! take off the burner and start your egg mixture.
- crack your eggs into a large bowl and add some half n half (¼ cup or less. or more! it depends on how decadent you are that day).
- whisk until combined and add the cheese and seasonings.
- add the veggies and sausage mixture, and pour into the pie plates.
- sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
dang. i’m hungry.