this is such a tangy, fresh new salad ~ created by MOI!
although i did make it up all by myself, i was inspired. i’m reading this really sweet book called, “LUNCH IN PARIS: A LOVE STORY, WITH RECIPES”. it’s like a little vacation every time i open it up and read a new chapter.
her recipe was couscous, and i only took her wonderful idea of adding grapefruit juice, which turned out to be a game changer. the rest i made up…
this is such a lovely dish that can be morphed and changed and dressed up or down. it can be whatever you need it to be.
here’s the recipe!
- prepare quinoa according to the directions on the box. use vegetable broth if you have it. i used “better than bouillon” like i always do.
- while the quinoa is cooking, put together your vinaigrette:
- juice of one large grapefruit
- juice of two limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite vinegar (red wine, champagne, apple cider)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- chopped green onion or red onion
- handful of chopped cilantro
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- chopped jalapeno
(those are all just suggestions, of course. you can change this up according to your taste, and whatever you have in your fridge!)
- add the quinoa when it’s hot, so it can soak up all that amazing juice
- add feta, golden raisins or cranberries, and any kind of veggies you want to get in for the day ~ celery would be amazing in this ~ and season to taste. add cumin or chili powder or anything you like. fresh basil would be amazing as well.
try not to eat it all in one sitting ~ it will be hard, and i had to distract myself to stop, just so i could have leftovers.
WW ALERT: look away if you don’t want to hear about the blasted points!
there are 6 points in a cup of cooked quinoa. so the more veggies you add to this dish, the less quinoa you’ll be eating. so pack in those veggies and you get to enjoy more! i couldn’t stop at one cup of this salad. it was TOOOO GOOD. i had more like 2 cups, and a couple bites over the sink when i “tried” to put it away.