recently, i’ve discovered the amazing versatility of greek yogurt. i personally don’t enjoy yogurt by itself, with fruit, or anything sweet. but i do like it in dressings, dips, sauces, etc.
we all know you can add greek yogurt to a creamy sauce, and it makes it thicker and tangier. but did you know you can simply use greek yogurt alone, and leave out the heavy cream altogether?
so if you like cream sauces, guess what? you can pick up that habit again and feel ZERO guilt!!!
here are some ways you can use greek yogurt to clean up your comfort food faves:
- as a creamy dip ~ greek yogurt (the 0% kind works just fine, and make sure there is nothing added, like sugar), chives, herbs, seasonings of any kind. green onions, cucumbers, you name it. or mix it with some harissa chile paste or sriracha for a spicy dip.
- as an addition to hummus ~ mix your favorite hummus with a dollop of greek yogurt. add sriracha hot sauce!
- as a salad dressing ~ think of any creamy, forbidden dressing you just have to have, and use greek yogurt instead. for instance, ranch dressing: greek yogurt, white vinegar, dijon mustard, a ranch dressing packet, lemon juice and salt and pepper. healthy, clean ranch dressing that’s full of probiotics!!! same with that blue cheese dressing you have to have with your buffalo wings. in fact, my favorite buffalo treatment is buffalo cauliflower with blue cheese/greek yogurt dip. YUMMM.
- here’s my favorite ~ CREAM SAUCES!!!! sauces such as alfredo and bechamel are usually made of heavy cream, flour to thicken, etc. i can’t eat those things without suffering later. instead, how about a little butter in the pan, add some minced garlic and cook for a few seconds, turn the burner off and add the yogurt. mix in lots of salt and pepper and fresh grated nutmeg. top with fresh grated parmesan. add to pasta, layer into your lasagna, serve atop spaghetti squash ~ you get the picture.
- in deviled eggs! swap out your mayo for greek yogurt and add your favorite other ingredients.
- potato salad, y’all!!! that mayo in potato salad is SOOOO not necessary. greek yogurt, stone ground mustard, and your other favorite ingredients make a fantastic, creamy potato salad.
**if you ever need to thin out these sauces a little, since greek yogurt is nice and thick, add lemon juice, vinegar, or even just water.
i DARE you to throw away that mayo and heavy cream, and try one of these ideas instead!!!