don’t be scared by the word VEGAN. it just means all veggies and all yummy. that’s all.
here’s a pic to make you forget that scary V word…
see? it’s just a soup. a hearty, yummy, healthy soup that makes you feel amazing after you eat it. rather than a soup full of things that make you want to lie down and unbutton your jeans.
that’s not the prettiest picture, actually. it gets dark SO early here! my pictures only look good when there’s natural light. hurrrumph.
anywho ~ this chili is chock full of gorgeous vegetables, heart-warming spices, and rice and beans to keep you satisfied.
here’s how it’s done!
HEARTY VEGAN CHILI
- a little coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- one box veggie broth (1 quart)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas (or black beans ~ whatever you have)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 head of fresh kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
it’s pretty self-explanatory how to make this chili ~ it’s just like any other chili, or soup for that matter.
- cook the onion, garlic and celery in coconut oil and let those start to get all weepy. then add the other vegetables and let cook for a few minutes. stir in the spices.
- pour in the veggie broth and water and bring it all up to a boil. let cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft-ish.
- add the beans and rice in (beans and rice keep so well in the fridge ~ just make a huge batch at the beginning of the week and add it to anything you’re making).
- add the chopped kale and juice of the lime.
- serve with fresh cilantro (if you put cilantro in the whole batch, it’ll just get brown and lose it’s bloom. just add the cilantro to each individual bowl).
the hub and i had this stew for dinner at 5:15 tonight because we were so hungry and tired from the freezing cold day here. but here it is 6:30, and i’m going back for another bowl!!!!