this is it, folks. this is the most genius thing i’ve ever done.
aside from marrying a younger man, that is.
or ending my gym membership.
okay, TELL me you haven’t already invented the quick risotto. have you? am i the last to know? this is seriously amazing. and you can make it SOOOO much more healthy by using wild, sprouted, even black rice!
okay here’s the 411 ~ there was a container of wild, sprouted rice in the fridge from the weekend, y’all. the weekend. that’s, like, 3 or 4 days ago.
and i also had this “impulse buy” in there, too, from the farmer’s market ~ oyster mushrooms. they looked like something from the depths of the sea.
if you think you don’t like mushrooms, try them again and again until you do. they are cancer-fighting, meat-substituting superheroes. you really must try all types. and NO CANNED MUSHROOMS! GROSS!
back to the hump day risotto. here’s how to do this thang…
- heat a little coconut oil in a dutch oven and add some chopped garlic, cooking for just a minute.
- add the trimmed, washed mushrooms. any mushrooms will do, but these oysters were so delicate! cook until they start to brown.
- add 1/2 cup white wine or champagne and stir for a minute.
- add some miso paste or “better than bouillon” concentrated veggie stock and stir.
- add the already-cooked, almost-forgotten rice and cook until the liquid turns into a velvety, rich sauce ~ about 5 minutes (or less).
- season with salt and pepper, and top with chopped chives (or anything your heart desires).
and did you see that picture? it really looks like risotto! and it tasted creamy and rich like risotto too. no cheese, no cream, no butter, just hearty whole grains and gorgeous mushrooms.
happy hump day!!!