Can you even SEE the salad for all that beautiful avocado? Man, what a photo hog.
COLD SESAME SALAD W/SUNSHINE SAUCE
(Sunshine Sauce is a Whole 30 recipe you can use instead of peanut sauce, but when I made it, I felt like it needed a little tweaking for my taste.)
Here’s what I did:
THE SUNSHINE SAUCE, PIXY STYLE
In a blender, drop in the following:
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter (I think you can use any kind of nut butter except peanut butter, but this is really creamy)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (I used canned and it was really rich. You could definitely use the LITE coconut milk version)
- juice of 2 limes (They say 1 lime in the book ~ 1 is not enough for this citrus lover)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or tamari)
- Add some veggie broth if it’s too thick
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- a handful of cilantro leaves and stems (give or take ~ depends on how much you like the stuff)
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek ~ Just making sure you know that they sell this everywhere. Just go to your Asian food aisle and look for this bottle.
I just don’t want you to live another day without this sauce. Especially my sister ~ is my sister reading this? Not sure, but seriously. It slays dragons!
I think that’s the list. Blend and pour into a large jar to use on ev.er.y.thing.
Like this easy Cold Sesame Salad, for instance!
THE COLD SESAME SALAD
- Throw together your favorite vegetables and toss in some of the dressing to coat.
Here are the veggies I used this time:
- a bag of shredded carrots
- a bag of broccoli woccoli (or whatever that shredded broccoli cole slaw mix is)
- a few large handfuls of bean sprouts (SO SO good for you)
- as much toasted sesame seeds and black sesame seeds as you can possibly stand
- chopped green onions
- raw cashews
- another handful of chopped cilantro
- A bag of baby Bok Choy, chopped
I literally opened bags and threw stuff in.
This stores in the fridge for about 3 days. We just ate the last bit for lunch, and I made it four days ago. It was good, but a little grey-looking. Just sayin’.
Optional additions! SHRIMP, PINEAPPLE, WATER CHESTNUTS (are those on-plan?), BABY CORN (not on plan) ~ you get the idea.