It’s our last Sunday night before our rehearsals begin again. And then we won’t have a single free Sunday evening until the middle of May.
So we wanted to celebrate.
And also celebrate making it through another weekend on the Whole 30!!!! Yahoo!
Here’s what we made tonight:
GRILLED STEAK W/CARAMELIZED MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
You know, a really nice steak can be split in half for two people. And it is so much cheaper than going out to eat. And we grilled it just like we liked it, too.
The Hub grilled the steak, so I can’t really tell you how he did it. He just sprinkled it with seasoning salt and threw it on a hot grill.
I made the mushrooms…
- Thinly slice a yellow onion and add it to a frying pan with 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee. Sprinkle with kosher salt, and cook on medium heat while you’re washing and slicing the mushrooms.
- The best way to clean mushrooms is to run them briefly under water in a colander, then dry each one individually, which rubs off the dirt and debris as well. Pop the stems off and slice. Drop into the pan.
- Brown everything (should take about 5 minutes) and deglaze the pan with a tiny hit of balsamic vinegar and some coconut aminos (or Worcestershire sauce).
- Season with salt and pepper and some fresh thyme.
- That same pan you made those mushrooms in? Just wipe it out with a paper towel and drop a bunch of asparagus in there! Add about 1/2 cup water and some salt and let it all boil for less than 5 minutes ~ you just want your asparagus to be barely cooked through and still green (crisp-tender!)
- While that’s cooking, make your Caesar dressing: 1 anchovy, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, splash of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Drain the cooked asparagus and drop it all into the Caesar dressing. The hot veggies will soak up all that yummy flavor.
- Top with toasted slivered almonds. DIVINE.
And of course I have a picture…
Oh yeah, the shrimp!!!! That’s just shrimp sautéed in a little bit of toasted sesame oil and coconut aminos (or soy sauce). Just 1 minute on each side is all you need!
Well, the weekend has ended deliciously. I’m just so relieved (and shocked!) I didn’t fall off the Whole 30 wagon this weekend!