Oh baby ~ this is SO GOOD. Sometimes you just need cereal to distract you from the everyday mundane have-to’s of life.
That’s right ~ I’m using cereal as a distraction.
Does this tell you how desperate I am?
But this cereal is not just any cereal.
I’m cereal. Ha ha ha
If that doesn’t make your mouth water, then you don’t like cereal as much as I do.
My Dad used to always have cereal at night while watching The Tonight Show. You could hear the spoon hitting the bowl with aplumb and great happiness all over the house. You could say his late-night cereal ritual definitely sparked joy.
I’m going back for a 2nd bowl of this stuff…
Here’s the recipe!
(Adapted from the “I Quit Sugar” book, but tweaked by Pixy)
COCO-NUTTY GRANOLA CEREAL
Preheat oven to 250.
In a large bowl, add the following ingredients:
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded or flakes
- 2 cups chopped nuts and seeds (sliced raw almonds and raw pepitas are amazing for this, but you can branch out and try different combos every time)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 5-7 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 egg-white, beaten until frothy
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (my not-so-secret weapon)
- pinch of kosher salt
- Splash of vanilla
- Sweetening choices: stevia, coconut sugar, maple syrup. You don’t need much. You might not need any at all. I added a little coconut sugar and a drop or two of liquid stevia and it was plenty sweet.
Toss and divide among two sheet pans lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 20 minutes, or till you get that golden-crunch factor.
This is SO good with almond milk. You can also omit the sugar completely, but after you bake, add a few chocolate chips, or dried fruit. Whatever gets you through a dreary Friday morning like this one.
By the way, Kansas City friends ~ WHERE IS THE SUN?