Remember that salad with the sweet dressing and the crunchy ramen noodles?
IT’S STILL SO GOOD, Y’ALL.
And since I’ve lost all my income, I’ve taken a serious liking to things that cost very little money ~ like Ramen.
But I always have loved this recipe. Here’s a slightly tweaked version of this classic…
Can you even see around that stage hog avocado?
CRUNCHY RAMEN SALAD
Here’s the cast of characters:
- ANY lettuce or leafy green of any sort (only got broccoli? No prob!)
- Some kind of protein or filling food: avocado, chicken, shrimp, tofu, tempeh ~ something to turn this salad into a meal. Or go without and serve it with a grilled portobello mushroom, or some scallops. Just giving you options here.
- A can of mandarin oranges. You might get away with pineapple, but the oranges are so special.
- A package of Ramen (the old school, cheap kind)
- Veggies GALORE.
- If you already have canned Asian-style delicacies, like baby corn or water chestnuts, add them, you fool!!
- And the dressing calls for simple pantry ingredients like oil, vinegar and sugar. Basics that shouldn’t send you to the scary grocery store.
Here’s the full recipe!!!
- Okay, the first time I made this, I skipped the part where you brown the Ramen noodles, because I was too hungry to wait. Don’t skip this step ~ it’s a good one! But first, you need to actually cook the dressing for just a minute. 1/4 cup sugar (or even less if you’re watching your sugar), 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white or apple cider vinegar), 1/2 cup olive oil or avocado oil, the packet from the Ramen, and 2 Tablespoons soy sauce. Bring it to a boil and let the sugar start to dissolve for a hot minute. Doesn’t take long!
- Pour the dressing into the bottom of your salad bowl and allow it to cool. DON’T rinse your pan out!! That’s gonna make some sick flavor for your Ramen!
- Return the pan to low heat, add a Tablespoon of butter (or coconut oil) and crunch up your Ramen noodles into little pieces. It might take a knife, or maybe you can use your hand if you’re strong-like-bull.
- Drop in the Ramen and coat with the buttery sauce ~ allow to brown a little, and the Ramen will also soften slightly.
- Drop the Ramen into the salad bowl and start adding the goodies: green onions, lettuce, the drained can of mandarin oranges, shredded chicken or protein of some sort, peanuts or cashews, sesame seeds, and all the other veggies you crave. I love matchstick carrots in beautiful salads like these. And edamame!!!
- Stir and top with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, or grilled shrimp ~ yummy!