Chai tea is so lovely on a cold, cozy night at home. Snuggle up with a good book, a warm blanket, and a mug of hot, spicy Chai, and you are most definitely living your best life.
But where are the decaf chai tea choices? Huh?
It’s virtually impossible to buy decaf chai tea anywhere, so just make your own! It’s super easy!
Okay, you know what tea looks like. But look at that adorable jadeite cup and saucer I bought on Etsy!
Decaf Earl Chai Tea
- 1 bag Early Grey Tea DECAF
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 whole star anise
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole nutmeg nut (ha ha ha)
- 2-3 whole cloves, allspice, or both
- 4-5 whole cardamom pods
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract this is added at the end
- Fill a small pan with water (6 cups) and add all the ingredients, except the vanilla.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag when the water is nice and dark and add in the vanilla.
- Stir and strain before serving. (After straining, tea can be kept on the stove on low)
You can obviously adjust the spices to satisfy your every whim. If you don’t like cloves, don’t add them! Want more cinnamon? You can do that! That’s the privilege of cooking from scratch. And you can use different types of tea ~ black, orange pekoe, etc.
Also, I genuinely don’t know if those whole nutmeg nuts give off their flavor when they’re still whole. I couldn’t really taste the nutmeg because there are so many other flavors going on. You decide what to do. If you add any ground spices, though, it’s impossible to strain out at the end. Just sayin’.
Enjoy your lovely cuppa tea before bedtime!